OK, you’ve been making espresso with your beginner espresso machine and you can’t quite get the same familiar flavor you get from your local café.
Yours is good, but you have decided it’s time to kick things up a notch – with a premium espresso machine to create café-style beverages.
With a budget of $1000, you have a lot of options to find a feature-rich model to match your home-barista-spirit.
At this price range, you can get a beautiful machine with an integrated grinder, with or without a milk carafe, and some premium functions found in the $2000 plus machines (such as a one-touch beverage selection, and customization features).
Read on and find out which models make the list. Yes, our line-up includes both super-automatic and semi-automatic units.
Best Espresso Machines under $1000: Our Top 7 Choices
1. Philips 3200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine
- Enjoy 5 coffees
- Intuitive touch display
- 12-step grinder adjustment
- 20,000 cups of finest coffee with durable ceramic grinders
The Philips 3200 Fully Automatic Espresso Machine with LatteGo is ranked at the top of this list. Why? Because it is one of the best-value fully automatic espresso makers on the market. And, it’s been on our best-seller list since last summer.
It has an intuitive and sleek control center, and it’s a breeze to clean.
- 15 bar pressure
- Easy to clean with Dishwasher safe components
- LatteGo Milk Solution with no tubes
- 3 aroma strength settings
- Adjustable Grinder with 12 Settings
- 5 pre-programmed coffee drinks
- 100% ceramic grinders
The dishwasher safe milk solution is our favorite component. It is easy to use and when your finished, just a quick rinse and your done.
The ceramic grinders are made to last on produce an even grind that would be acceptable on a more expensive machine.
The display panel for the Philips 3200 series is easy to follow and lets you adjust grind quantity, milk quantity, water quantity so that you can customize drinks to be just how you like them.
If you live in an area where there are lots of minerals in the water you should consider getting the Philips filter that is made for this model so that you can reduce the number of times you need to descale as well as improve the taste of your coffee.
2. Gaggia Anima Prestige Automatic Coffee Machine
- ONE TOUCH BREWING AND FROTHING: Bean-to-cup feature with automatic milk frothing for cappuccinos, macchiatos and...
- PROGRAMMABLE: Programmable brewing options for lattes, cappuccinos, macchiatos and espresso
- TEMPERATURE CONTROL: 3 different temperature settings. Min/177.5 °F, Med/182.9 °F, Max/184.5 °F
- EASY ACCESS TO WATER RESERVOIR AND BEAN HOPPER: Features a removable 60 oz water reservoir that can be accessed on...
Next on our list is the flagship of Gaggia’s best-selling Anima line, meet Gaggia Anima Prestige – a one-touch automatic espresso machine with milk carafe.
Did you know: As early as 1930 in Milan, Achille Gaggia started looking for ways to improve coffee extraction. By 1938 Achille had filed a patent for his “Lampo” apparatus which used pressure instead of steam to extract coffee, this innovation was the seed that has grown into the modern espresso machine we know today.
Its no surprise that the Gaggia brand with so much history makes an excellent fully automatic espresso machine under 1000 dollars.
- 15 bar pressure
- One button milk drinks
- Easy to attach and remove milk carafe
- 3 temperature settings
- Easy Maintenance and use
- Gaggia Adapting System to learn your coffees
- Ceramic grinders
- Bypass doser – to accommodate pre-ground specialty or decaf coffee.
What makes this machine is its one button operation. You may want to adjust a few things here and there, but once programmed making a spectacular Americano or Cappuccino.
The brew group is simple to remove and rinse keeping it so your espresso machine operates as intended. Typically you will need to do this once a week.
This machine also supports the largest cup size of any of the anima line. You can adjust to fit a travel mug size cup.
The Anima Prestige model supports up to an 11.5 gram dose perfect for making larger cups of your favorite beverage.
3. Jura D6
- VERSATILITY: Cappuccino, espresso and coffee maker
- OPERATION: Plain text display or Smart Connect App control
- CUSTOMIZATION: Adjustable water level, coffee strength and temperature
- GRINDER: Fast and precise AromaG2 integrated grinder
If our top-rated under $1000 list is limited to three models, the luxury Swiss Brand Jura’s D6 will be on the podium.
The D6 uses its integrated Aroma G2 whole bean grinder and patented Pulse Extraction Process (P.E.P.) brewing system to create unbelievably delicious bean to cup coffee and espresso.
The drink menu goes beyond your standard espresso, double espresso, and coffee with its hot water spout, which can be used to create authentic long blacks and Americanos.
But what about the beloved cappuccino? That’s where the Jura D6’s innovative milk solution comes into play.
Simply plug the milk tube in and set the free end in a container of your preferred milk. When you select “cappuccino” from the drink menu, it will prepare a delicious cap of fluffy foam right on top of the espresso after dispensed. You can even command a simple portion of milk foam to upgrade a hot cocoa. We love how easy it is to clean this milk solution!
In fact, the entire machine is a breeze to maintain. You’ll never have to descale or clean out the brew unit with the included Intelligent Water System compatible with one of our favorite Jura inventions – the Smart Water Filter. It will notify you when to change this filter out every couple of months or so, and that’s it.
As far as programmability, you can brew at 2 temperatures and choose between 2 temperatures for your hot water too. Your espresso or coffee can be brewed at 4 strength levels. Plus, use Jura’s smart phone app J.O.E. to set your preferences and order your machine to prepare a drink. Note, this will involve purchasing a $50 smart connect accessory for the Jura D6.
Another key feature we can’t go without mentioning is the Jura D6’s ability to prepare all black coffee drinks two-at-a-time.
So, if you’re hosting, live with a spouse or roommate, or are preparing coffees for multiple clients in an office, you can complete the task at double speed!
Whether you purchase the Jura D6 for your home or an office environment, we think it’ll be the perfect size at just 11 inches wide, 13.6 inches tall, 16.3 inches deep, and a manageable 19.2 pounds in weight. The bean hopper holds up to 7.1 ounces of fresh, aromatic whole beans at a time and has 6 grind settings. The water tank holds 63.6 ounces of water, and the dreg box only needs to be emptied every 16 brew cycles.
4. De’Longhi La Specialista Espresso Machine with Sensor Grinder
- Sensor grinding technology: Exclusive segsing technology delivers precise, consistent grinding and the optimal dose...
- The smart tamping station: Simply pull the lever to tamp the ground coffee with the right pressure for perfect...
- Active temperature control with dual heating system: The best temperature stability for optimal coffee extraction...
- Advanced latte system: Micro-foam frothing for Latte Art or rich froth for cappuccino. Just place your cup under...
The La Specialista Espresso Machine by De’Longhi is a beautiful semi-automatic espresso machine. It is perfect for those who want customization, and more involved with the process.
This professional at-home unit has a recipe nob – you can make espresso, authentic Americano, and coffee. You can also customize each recipe to the way you like via the “my” button.
- Sensor Grinding Technology
- Dual Heating System
- Easy to attach and remove milk carafe
- Smart Tamping System
- Separate Hot water spout
- Advanced Latte Milk Frothier
- Conical Burr Grinder
One of the cool features of this machine is how as you adjust the grind the system detects the change automatically and adjusts how much of the beans to grind to get the correct dose.
When making a drink that requires the addition of water like an Americano, the water spout is right next to the portafilter so you don have to stop and move your cup to add the water.
The tamper on the Specialista is another stand out feature it allows you to finish the grind and tamp without removing the portafilter leaving minimal or non-existent coffee grind mess.
The programming features coupled with the auto adjust grind, smart tamping, and water spout close to the portafilter make this machine a mess free station while still leaving you in control.
5. Jura A1 Super Automatic Coffee Machine
- ONE TOUCH: Prepare 3 barista quality specialties including ristretto, espresso and coffee at the touch of a button...
- PERFECT ESPRESSO: Ultimate coffee quality thanks to JURA's exclusive Pulse Extraction Process
- CONICAL BURR GRINDER: Fast and precise AromaG3 grinder grinds whole beans to the optimum fineness
- : JURA is always freshly ground, not capsuled - fresh taste with very limited waste - single serve machine
For us the Jura A1 represent the equivalent of the Early iPhones that came out. It has a sleek design and simple controls. The features may seem limited, but as you use it you’ll find it executes those features exceptionally well.
- 15 bar pressure
- Pulse Extraction Technology
- One Touch feature for 3 popular espresso drinks
- Intuitive symbol control panel
- Thermoblock heating system
- Sleek clean line design
- Conical Burr Grinder for the perfect grind
If you look at the diagram for this espresso machine you can see the simplicity in the design. Everything has a purpose and it looks good in any kitchen.
The one touch feature to get your espresso, ristretto, or coffee. These are all pre-set, but of course you can alter the default settings to dial each one in to your specific taste.
The adjustable spout covers a range of 2.5″ to 5.5″ so you can make your drink in a variety of cup sizes.
It should be noted that the Jura A1 does not do milk. You’ll need a milk frothier if you prefer milk drinks.
6. Breville BES878BSS Barista Pro Espresso Machine
- The Breville Barista Pro delivers third wave specialty coffee at home using the 4 keys formula and is part of the...
- DOSE CONTROL GRINDING: With a single touch, the integrated precision conical burr grinder with dose control...
- OPTIMAL WATER PRESSURE: Low pressure pre-infusion gradually increases pressure at the start and helps ensure all...
- FASTER HEAT UP TIME: Innovative ThermoJet heating system achieves the optimum extraction temperature in 3 seconds...
A direct competitor to the De’Longhi La Specialista listed above. The biggest difference we noticed between the two was the grind had more settings on this machine. Which can be important when your trying to dial in that perfect coffee grind for your espresso.
Which is better? Well it depends on whether more convenient espresso station setup vs more grind settings. So the beauty of each machine is all in the eye of the beholder.
- 15 bar pressure
- set of both single and dual wall filter baskets
- Manual Frothier where you control the texture
- Digital temperature controls for precise settings
- ThermoJet Heating System
- Low Pressure Pre-Infusion
- Conical Burr Grinder
One of the things we really liked on this machine is the frothier. There is nothing fancy about it and you have complete control to froth milk to the perfect texture for your latte art.
The drawer under the grate allows for storage of extra like the second set of filter baskets or other odds and ends you see fit.
If you are also looking at the Specialista as a potential for your home, another differentiator is the height of the machine. Breville is not as tall as the Specialista (about 1.5″ taller) making it perfect for under the cabinet usage.
The Pro version heats up quicker than the Express version of the Breville Barista, for this reason we feel you’ll be happier with Pro version as you use it over time.
7. De’Longhi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super Automatic Espresso & Coffee Machine
- FRESH ESPRESSO FOR EVERY CUP: The professional burr grinder with 13 adjustable settings grinds fresh beans every...
- YOUR FOAM, YOUR WAY: A manual frother mixes steam and milk to create a rich, creamy froth for evenly textured...
- CONSISTENT BREWING EVERY TIME: Each cup is automatically brewed to the perfect temperature, richness and density....
- EASY TO CLEAN AND HANDLE: The compact, extractable brew unit is not only easy to clean, it self-adjusts for one or...
The De’Longhi ESAM3300 is a classic machine beloved by many, and it comes in at just under $700 making it a great value for money. Read our full review on the Magnifica – the first super automatic espresso machine on the market.
This reliable and consistent machine includes an 8.8-ounce capacity integrated burr grinder with 13 settings, and a manual pannarello steam wand for frothing latte or cappuccino-style milk.
The manual wand lets you create an infinite number of milk consistencies.
The Magnifica is simple to use and has a solid set of programable options, including 4 volume sizes and 5 strength settings. It can brew twin cycles of espresso too if you’re preparing two drinks at once. The actual drink menu is simply espresso, double espresso, hot water, and steam.
Of course, with the hot water you can make americanos and long blacks, and with the steam you can froth milk for even more drink options like cappuccinos, lattes, and flat whites. You can even use the steam to froth milk for tea lattes or hot cocoa.
Some cool features the Magnifica has: a heated top cup warmer, a bypass doser for pre-ground coffee, and a front-access water reservoir for easy refills.
The tank holds 60 ounces of water, and the dreg box holds 14 brew cycles.
Due to the manual wand, we think this machine is best suited for the home rather than the office. It’s a great size for the home at just 11 inches wide, 14.4 inches tall, 15.3 inches deep, and 23.2 pounds in weight.
The De’Longhi Magnifica will take a bit more maintenance than the Jura A1 or D6, but it’s still manageable. The brew unit hooks in and out of the machine and just needs to be rinsed with warm water once a week. You will need to descale the machine every two months or so as well.
We love the simple controls on De’Longhi Magnifica and the stainless-steel front casing. We also love that the grinder has so many settings so that you can dial in your shot just the way you like.
What to look for in an espresso machine under $1000 – Tips and FAQ
What Are the advantages of a good espresso machine?
While an espresso machine for as much as $1000 for your home may seem excessive, you can get feature rich machines in this price range that will produce the high quality espressos. You will typically find the following features.
- Integrated coffee grinders
- Milk carafes that you can keep in the refrigerator
- User Profiles
- Programable dosing
- By-Pass dosing
- Cleaning cycles
- One-Touch drinks
Consider the nuances in functions and performance
There are a variety of features available in this price range. You will want to find the one best match with your requirements. Here are some typical decision points:
- How many Grind Settings you want?
- Do you require one-touch operations?
- Do you what the machine do the frothing?
- Do you prefer to create your own foam?
- Do you have space requirements or restrictions?
- Do you have a need to product a large number of drinks every day?
- Do you like to be involved in all the steps or just let the machine do all the work?
We all have our own “have to have it” options so this will be different for each person but this list is a good place to start thinking about what is important to you.
Type of espresso drinks you can make
These machines will usually give you the ability to make a variety of coffee drinks such as a single & double shot espresso, ristretto, latte, cappuccino, and Americano etc. While they all produce the same ‘type’ of espresso you’ll find the differences lie in the features, customizations and how convenient they are to operate.
In general, espresso machines in this mid-price range will have more options and built-in conveniences than entry-level machines. And yes, you guessed it – those at a higher price range of $2000 to $5000 will have more customization options than the $1000 range. Take a look at our top-rated espresso machines for every budget to find the one best fit your needs.