The very best espresso machines are very good indeed! The cream of the crop of these espresso machines and set you back several thousand dollars. However, we’ve found that there are some excellent machines available in the under $1000 range. These espresso machines will produce great shots and often a wide variety of beverages. They often have features such as preprogrammed or even programmable recipes in them so you can save away your favorite beverages and those of your friends. So check out our quick guide for some of the best machines in this category.
Best Super-Automatic Espresso Machine under $1000: Our Top 5 Choices
This compact version of the famous Magnifica espresso machine is one of the hottest espresso makers you can get under $1000. DeLonghi did a great job providing a simpler version of one of their most robust and complete models, making an extremely robust compact machine. The Compact Magnifica S has three different base coffee recipes with an extensive programming panel so you can choose with accuracy the intensity, amount, blend with milk, thickness and so on. The machine also provides a professional grinding system to prepare freshly ground coffee as needed. A truly gem for people who want to enjoy a quite traditional espresso with all the ritual of preparing your ground coffee in time.
- Compact automatic espresso machine
- Built-in water filter system
- Patented cappuccino frother
- Patented “Direct to Brew” grinding system
- Intuitive interface with options for type of coffee, strength and amount with rotary and push buttons
- You can make use of tap water for this machine, since it has an exclusive built-in filtration system
- You can prepare latte and cappuccino making use of the patented froth wand to make creamy, foamy beverages
- This machines saves up to 77% energy when switched on the economic mode. The Compact Magnifica makes use of a single boiler system which makes it even more economic and efficient.
- The coffee beans will be ground instantly for fresh beverages
- The brewing system is all removable. You can detach its parts and wash them in your dishwasher
This KRUPS machine is one of their most refined models and one of the best espresso machines under 1000 dollars. Its functionality is similar to an automatic semi-professional espresso machine. KRUPS offers many great coffee machines and this one is by far one of their best models. There are three different recipes of coffee but you can customize each one, choosing whether the coffee will be of a stronger or lighter flavor. This espresso machine has capacity for up to 1.7L, has automatic on/off functions and still provides the Thermoblock technology that keeps the coffee in the right temperature for at least 2 hours.
- 15 bar high pressure pump
- Includes KRUPS famous Thermoblock system
- Adjustable conical burr grinder made of stainless steel
- Automatic shut off and turn on functions
- 1.7 L capacity
- Touch screen control panel with three different beverage recipes and steam or hot water only additional options
- The coffee grinder is adjustable with a manual knob, up to the 58 oz. size
- The tray is also adjustable for different cup sizes
- The coffee ground collector is removable, as well as the water tank
- You can customize each of the three recipes to make your own coffee, enhancing the scope of possible beverages.
This Magnifica S is almost the same as the top model in our list for best espresso machines for less than $1000. The differences are subtle and some will prefer one over the other depending on certain needs. For example, this model is chromed instead of black, which is better looking for some tastes or fits better with some decors. The control panel is much more evident and easy to understand and especially useful for visually challenged people. Everything else remains exactly the same. This model actually is a former version of the Magnifica S, so you can count on the built-in water filter, frother wand for cappuccinos and lattes, economic single boil system and all the other features you have seen in other Magnifica S models.
- Compact automatic espresso machine
- Also includes the built-in water filtering system
- Exclusive aroma button
- Also includes the patented cappuccino frother system and the intuitive interface rotary and push buttons.
- This is also as economic as the ECAM23210B model. Will save up to 77% energy when switched on the economic mode and works with a single boiling system
- Stylistically, this machine fits better in kitchens with other chrome appliances. The control panel is less minimalist and more organized, with bigger and more obvious displays
Classic espressos are much more demanding, though the most demanding coffee aficionados know that the best has its own cost. In this case, the cost is not money but time. This Europiccola espresso machine is a traditional lever Italian machine, so it is designed for the preparation with steam pressure operated on piston mechanism. The Europiccola doesn’t have a coffee grinder, for example, and the only automatic function of the machine is the frother wand that allows the preparation of lattes and cappuccinos. While it will demand more skills, time and a singular, standard setting for the preparation of espressos, it is designed to provide the classic Italian coffees as they are meant to be.
- Semi-automatic lever espresso machine
- Chromed stainless steel built
- 2 stainless steel filter baskets
- Internal thermostat for steam pressure system based on piston
- Automatic frother wand for milk
- Includes screen and the screen holder, the tamper, a cappuccino attachment and a measuring ladle
- Classic espresso machine for traditionalist appreciators. While you can’t ground coffee beans with this machine, it is designed to prepare espressos in the most classic and faithful fashion.
- Includes an instructional video so beginners can also learn how to prepare a traditional Italian espresso
- Drip tray is removable for cleaning
The last machine in our comparison of espresso machines under $1000 is quite a beautiful and automatic machine. As this machine is at a higher price point, some might view the cost is prohibitive. This espresso machine accident of features into a compact space. It also offers a frother wand, steam and hot waters functions, but it has fewer customization options than some other machines, working mainly with a rotary button option that offers adjustments for amount of coffee and water. The Jura Impressa C60 provides 15 bars of pressure to enable creation of high quality espressos. It also has a coffee grinder. The machine will, actually, grind and brew all with only one command, so it is also quite practical and easy to use. Its great styling and functionality along with it’s easy to use interface make this machine the best choice for many.
- Control panel with one rotary switch button
- 15 bars of pressure
- Made on stainless steel, finished on black ABS plastic
- Capacity for up to 64 ounce of water
- The machines grinds beans and brews with only one simple command due to the rotary touch button
- You can program several tasks, from the amount of coffee to grind and brew, to the strength, aroma, and on/off time
- You can adjust the height of the spout to accommodate different cup sizes
- Quite elegant and minimalist design
What Are the Advantages of a Good Espresso Machine?
While an espresso machine for as much as $1000 for your home may seem excessive, you can get great machines in this price range that will produce the highest quality espressos. You will find these machines are often versions of commercial, outstanding models that are used by the coffee industry. For many, the machines we review here and others in this price range will be a perfect solution to your espresso machine needs.
What You Should Know
For this price range of under $1000, you can get some of the best available home machines. On the other hand, they offer mostly a quite automated experience. But that doesn’t mean you have to stick with traditions to have a great quality coffee. Most of the brands listed here are from top notch manufacturers known for producing the finest coffees you can get in the market. They have patented, fancy thermostat systems, secret technologies to brew coffee with outstanding quality and a quite complex digital programming that allows you to make many different coffees with only one machine and few adjustments.
Type of Espresso You Can Get for less then $1000
You can purchase a lot of convenience and beauty as well as you can get high quality and versatile coffee stations for your own home. The $1000 quote is really reasonable for fancy espresso machines, you don’t have to spend much more than that to get better quality, you will actually get only wider quality, i. e., multiple shots spots at the same time, ideal for cafeterias, or more options of lever machines, which often cost a bit more. But since the point here it home espresso machines, you are just right on the point with this price – because the lever ones are also a toy much more designed for commercial use than home.
When we say $1000 by the way, we include a scope of machines that were originally listed for much higher prices and are now on promotional sale. You can expect a choice of fully automatic espresso machines in this price range, no reason to spend on a semi-automatic espresso machine unless it is a lever one.
What Do Our Reviews Have To Say?
There are big differences between these top models other than price, but about features, and your best choice will really depend on what you are looking for. For example, the DeLonghi models are a terrific value for under $1000, with several additional functions and customizations, compared with machines like the KRUPS one or the Jura costing essentially the same amount. What you have to consider here is conveniences versus the quality. If you are looking for a versatile and outstanding coffee machine, it is worthy much more the ones that offer more customization or credibility – like the lever La Pavoni – than the ones that offer a easy to follow process like the other modern appliances. Sometimes is better to have more options of coffees than a simple option that will brew a fine espresso with only one command. Is up to your needs and standards.